So I've eaten a few absolutely amazing Tempeh sandwiches in my life. For some reason I had gotten it into my head that it must be a very complicated thing to cook. Well it's not!
After eating the mouth watering Bali Bliss Sandwich at the Veggie Grill, I was inspired to try cooking with Tempeh. Of course my first attempt had to involve masalas.. and red chili powder! And YES.. this is an original Kuty Kreation!
There are several variations to this. You can be creative and add different toppings, and even vary the Tempeh with tofu or paneer.
Number of Servings: 4 Sandwiches
- 2 Packages of Tempeh (You can probably makes this with tofu or paneer instead)
- 8 Slices of Sourdough Bread (I used Wheat Sourdough Bread)
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Onion
- Cheese Slices (Optional. I used Havarti cheese just out of curiosity. Mozzarella or Cheddar would work fine)
- 1 Cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Bunch Coriander Leaves (cilantro)
- 6-7 Peppercorns
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Green Chili
- 3-4 Tablespoons Tandoori Masala Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- Half Bunch Coriander (Cilantro)
- 3 Green Chilies
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1.5 - 2 cups Yogurt
- Lemon Juice to taste
- Pinch of Salt
1. Prepare the Tempeh
Cut the Tempeh into fourths (so you have 8 pieces in total). Place in boiling water for about 10 mins. Pat dry and poke a few holes in each piece with a fork. While you are boiling the Tempeh you can prepare the Marinade.
2. Prepare the Marinade
Blend together all of the ingredients for the marinade with 1 cup of yogurt. Taste the marinade. If it seems too spicy add yogurt as necessary. (Note: The marinade should be a bit spicier than you can handle because the Tempeh will end up being a tad less spicier.)
Marinate the Tempeh in this mixture for 3-4 hours. Overnight is best. (Of course I was too impatient to eat this so I only marinated it for 1 hour. I'm sure it will taste better tomorrow!)
4. Prepare the Fix-Ins
You can put any veggies you happen to have in the fridge.
Onions: I chopped up the onions into rounds and caramelized them (sauteed the onions in butter until they turned very brown.)
Grilled Red Pepper: Cut the Red Pepper into big slices (about 8). Toss with olive oil and pepper. Broil until blackened.
5. Broil/ Grill the marinated Tempeh pieces on each side for about 10-15 mins until it changes color and starts to blacken.
6. Indian Mayonnaise
Blend together all of the mayonnaise ingredients.
7. Grill the bread slices and melt the cheese on one side of the bread.
8. Assemble your sandwiches with 2 pieces of Tempeh, mayonnaise, and all the fix-ins! ENJOY!
Instead of the Indian Mayonnaise, this will surely taste as good with a simple raita (yogurt) dressing with cucumbers. Instead of bread, you can make it into a wrap too.